If the information in this page does not help you, then mail me (in English, German or Danish, please) with information about:
- The name of the software program. (It might be difficult to guess which, if you don't tell me!)
- Does the software program install ? (If not: Any error message? What does it say?)
- Does the software program open ? (If not: Any error message? What does it say?)
Assuming the software program installs and opens:
- Software program version ? (Look in the software program Help menu -> About)
- Which steps you have done ? (e.g. load file; click button "Convert")
- What happens when program fails ? (e.g. any error message; program freezes)
Please attach "offending" files, if any.
My mail address is in the top right of this page.
You will most probably get an error message saying: "Mscoree.dll Could Not Be Found"
• Open the Add/Remove programs window this way: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs
• A list similar to this will appear:
(Screen dump from Windows 2000. Other Windows versions look similar. .Net Framework 1.1 is installed here.)
Wrong Compatibility Settings
You will most probably get an error message saying: "CLR Error:80070002 The program will terminate now" or something similar. This has been reported on WinXP systems only (Thanks René).
Check the program compatibility settings:
• Right click on the program executable file (.exe) and select the tab Compatibility.
• ALL check boxes on this tab should be kept unmarked.
All program files (incl. the executable) are by default installed to a subfolder (named as the program itself) to the Program Files folder at your system's primary hard drive (mostly the C:\ drive). The Program Files folder may have localized names, e.g. Programmer (in Danish).
Programming and configuration errors
Both situations will throw an "Unhandled exception"; and show this dialog box.
The error message is the last line. It is in your computers language.
As the message in the dialog says, you can try to click the "Continue" button. This might work...
However, I would like to have these errors reported; including some details.
Therefore click the "Details" button...
The first 2 lines in the ********* Exception Text ********* defines the exception type and cause; and points to the origin of the exception. Please report these to me!
In this example, please report:
"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"